If you’re one of many people who own a Kasa TP Link smart device and have been waiting for a TP Link/SmartThings integration, then you have probably been wondering…
Does TP Link work with SmartThings?
Good news! The answer is yes – TP Link now works perfectly with Samsung SmartThings. The integration with SmartThings was made possible in June 2019.
So if you’re looking to buy a TP Link Kasa smart plug in 2021 – you’re in luck! Rest assured that any TP Link smart device you purchase will work natively with SmartThings, without any fancy IFTTT workarounds.
What Kasa devices are compatible with SmartThings?
Wondering which Kasa devices are certified under the Works with SmartThings program?
Here’s a list of the highest-rated Kasa smarthome products on Amazon list (with links to each of these compatible products on Amazon to simplify things for you):
- (3 Way) Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch
- (Dimmer) Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch
- Energy Monitoring Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug
- (6-oulet) Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip
How to Configure Kasa to Work With SmartThings
Configuring TP Link Kasa to work with SmartThings is super easy and be completed in less than 5 minutes. Be sure to install and setup the Samsung SmartThings official app before continuing.
- Add the device to your Kasa app first to ensure everything is working correctly. This prevents you from troubleshooting a defective device.
- Open the SmartThings app.
- Click the + icon to add a new smart device. In this example, I’m adding a Kasa TP Link Smart Plug.
- Click the icon of whatever you are adding (Lighting, Outlet, or Switch/dimmer).
- Sign into your Kasa account. If successful, a screen will let you know.
- Choose the room you want your TP Link device to go into.
That’s it! You can now control any TP Link device from within your SmartThings app instead of needing to open the Kasa app.
Fun Fact: Your Kasa devices do not need to be on the same wifi network in order for it to work with SmartThings. For example, I have a TP Link smart plug at the office but am still able to configure it into the SmartThings hub I have at my house.
Best Kasa Smart Plugs for SmartThings
Great! Now which TP Link Smart Plug do you choose? I haven’t tested all of them out, but I can say I purchased 4 of these last year and have zero issues with them. They are very responsive, auto-connect to wifi, and have great support should you ever need it.
They are stackable so you can have two smartplugs on top of each other, and they do have a physical on/off button located on the side.
Also, a 4-pack of TP Link smart plugs costs as much as 1 Samsung smart plug!
- Voice control: Kasa smart plugs that work with Alexa and Google Home Assistant. Enjoy the hands free convenience of controlling any home electronic appliances with your voice via Amazon Alexa or...
- Smart Outlet Control from anywhere: Turn electronics on and off your smart home devices from anywhere with your smartphone using the Kasa app, whether you are at home, in the office or on vacation
Friendly Reminder: Kasa smart devices connect using wifi, not zigbee, so if you ever change your wifi password you’ll need to update it within the Kasa app as well.
Other Cool Kasa Products – 6 outlet Smart Power Strip
Example Kasa TP Link SmartThings Automations
Once you have TP Link integrated with SmartThings, you can start creating as many automations as you’d like. Keep in mind, the Kasa app works really well for timer-based automations, but if you want even more granular control (such as IF X happens, then do Y), the SmartThings TP Link integration is awesome.
Here’s some examples automations:
- Turn on light after window is unlocked when house is set to Arm Mode
- Turn off lamps when front door closes and set to Arm( Away) mode
- If motion is detected at 1am, turn on hallway light.
- When front door opens between 5-6pm, turn on entryway lamp.
- Turn on lamps when you are away to make it look like you are home.
There’s an unlimited number of ways a smartplug or switch can improve and simplify life in a smarthome.
Hopefully you are as excited that TP Link does work with SmartThings as much as I am! I’ve been a Kasa user for well over a year now and only just found this out.
My Favorite SmartThings Devices
Below are some of the SmartThings-compatible devices I’ve personally used in my home.
- Hub: Aeotec SmartThings Hub
- Smart Plugs: Securifi Peanut plugs
- Motion Sensors: Aeotec SmartThings Motion Sensor
- Camera: Aeotec SmartThings Indoor Camera
- Garage Door Opener: MyQ Chamberlain (works with all existing garage door openers)
The full list of all zwave & ZigBee devices I use can be found on my Equipment List page.